Friday, February 22, 2013

Mango Mini Muffins - In Which I Play an Unconvincing Food Blogger




gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free mango (mini) muffins


I'm not much of a recipe writer (or food photographer), probably because I'm not much of a recipe follower. As with knitting patterns, I'm compelled to tinker, to substitute, to not have to run to the store for that thing I just don't have. But, tonight I made some muffins, and they were good. Good enough to entice an elderly cat to climb up onto a rather high table to have a wee taste. And, good enough to encourage a recluse to peek out from behind the curtains.

As I eat fewer and fewer things, my life has become increasingly about procuring the next meal, worrying about what will be available should I be stranded somewhere, and how to approach social eating. My life has become less about blogging (ahem) and about being social in general.

I have escaped from my weirdness by enclosing myself in a protective layer of comfortable aloneness. I can't be accidentally "glutened" if I don't allow gluten in my house, or myself out. I can't mistakenly ingest some allergy inducing dairy, or migraine inducing sugar if I am vigilant enough, if I am safe enough. Except that sometimes I slip, sometimes I don't read a label carefully enough, or learn that vitamin E should make me suspicious, or that corn makes me ill. The dangerous world seeps in.


I know it's an excuse, but it really doesn't feel like one. I don't feel like I have an option; I know, intellectually, that I do. But, this is the story of fear, the one that must come before the story of courage. This is the part where I admit that I have allowed semi-legitimate fears to validate absurd ones, thus creating an overwhelming ecosystem of anxieties.


With nowhere left to cower, my instinctual urge to seek shelter thwarted, I am left to be squeezed into near nonexistence, or to change. I hope I can do it, because being invisible isn't nearly as fun as we've been led to believe.





Mango Mini Muffins - Gluten, Dairy, and Sugar Free



 adapted from Banana Blueberry Muffins in
The Gluten-Free Almond Cookbook by Elana Amsterdam


1/2 c. millet flour
1/2 c. dry, unsweetened shredded coconut 
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

2 ripe mangos, peeled and finely diced
2 ripe bananas, peeled (Did I really need to tell you that bit?)
the juice of 1/2 of a lemon
1-2 tsp of ginger, grated or minced

3 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 T mild tasting oil (coconut, canola, etc.; something that won't overwhelm the other flavors)

Preheat oven to 350 °F. Oil mini muffin pan.

In a medium bowl, wisk together the almond flour, quinoa flakes, millet flour, coconut, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a small, separate bowl or measuring cup, set aside 1 c. of the diced mango. Puree* the rest of the mango, bananas, lemon juice, and ginger.

Stir eggs and oil into the almond flour mixture until just combined. Add the puree and stir until fully incorporated. Fold in the diced mango.

Spoon mixture into prepared pan, filling each well approximately 3/4 full. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes 48.

Freezes brilliantly.




* I used a stick blender; you can use your favorite tool**. 

** Is he really your favorite?



No comments:

Post a Comment